How to Upgrade RedwoodJS App and Packages

:point_right: IMPORTANT: Skipping versions when upgrading is not recommended and will likely cause problems. Do read through all Release Notes between your current version and the latest version. Each minor release will likely require you to implement breaking change fixes and apply manual code modifications.

To see which version of Redwood is currently installed, either run the command yarn rw info or look at the @redwoodjs/core package version in packages.json.

Option 1: Using the CLI command

Run the following command within your App directory:

yarn rw upgrade

How to upgrade to an incremental version that is not the latest release

The command yarn rw upgrade will always upgrade to the latest (i.e. most recent) Redwood version. If you need to upgrade incrementally to an earlier, specific release, use the --tag option. For example, if you need to upgrade from v0.27.0 to v0.28.4 (which is not the latest release), run the following command:

yarn redwood upgrade --tag 0.28.4

Option 2: Manually Upgrading Redwood Packages

*Note: This is an example for version v0.29.0. Adjust the versions in your project based on the version you are upgrading to (see β€œReleases” link at bottom).

Manually update the following @redwoodjs/* packages within the given package.json files. Note: consider this a partial list. Your project may include additional @redwoodjs packages.

Root directory package.json
  • "@redwoodjs/core": "^0.29.0”
web/package.json
  • "@redwoodjs/web": "^0.29.0”
  • "@redwoodjs/router": "^0.29.0”
  • "@redwoodjs/forms": "^0.29.0”
  • "@redwoodjs/auth": "^0.29.0” (if installed)
api/package.json
  • "@redwoodjs/api": "^0.29.0”
  • "@redwoodjs/api-server": "^0.29.0”

Install the upgraded packages

$ yarn install

Redwood Releases on GitHub

You can read all Redwood release notes and version history on GitHub

5 Likes

Thank you for the tip

1 Like

Thank you this was very helpful

1 Like

Now, 2 years after this post was created, both versions of updating rw app still seem to function correctly. I love consistency :heart:

1 Like

" IMPORTANT: Skipping versions when upgrading is not recommended "

" The command yarn rw upgrade will always upgrade to the latest "

I’m just about to bring a 0.47 up to the 1.4

Am I about to run 14, 5, or 1 upgrade(s) ?

[ all, breaking, thatWasEasyβ„’ ]

• (I’m expecting 5, dreading more…)

As I’m new to redwood, am I expected to keep react up to date, or will redwood update that part too at some point?