Contributing Workshop: Thursday, February 10th

:alarm_clock: Starting at a new time! And hosted by both @thedavid and @giannelli.tech

Are you interested in contributing to RedwoodJS but need help getting started? Regardless of your experience or skill-set, you’re invited to participate!

In this two-hour workshop, we’ll walk through everything you need to know:

1. finding something to work on,
  2. setting up for local development,
  3. testing your code with framework tools + Gitpod, and
  4. opening a PR for discussion and review.

Details

• Thursday, February 10th
  • 2:30pm - 4:30pm PST (22:30 - 00:30 UTC)
  • Free with required registration

Your local time: 2022-02-10T22:30:00Z2021-12-17T00:30:00Z

Registration

The event will be held on Discord in the “Redwood Live” channel. Free registration via Lu.ma is the easiest way to get access. Follow this link to register:

Who is this for? Is anything required to join?

Anyone who is interested in contributing to RedwoodJS is welcome to join. However, the walkthrough will assume you have a basic understanding of these topics:

Git and GitHub workflow

I’ll move quickly through forking a repo, cloning locally, creating a branch, committing, etc. If all this is new to you, GitHub offers some courses to get you up to speed:

Redwood Tutorial Part 1

I won’t spend much time on Redwood basics — instead, we’ll be working on the code for Redwood packages. It will help you understand the concepts and connections I cover if you’re already familiar with Redwood’s fundamentals. Ideally, you’ll have spent time going through the Redwood Tutorial Part 1:

Format

• Workshop will be conversational and casual, with a majority of the time spent live-streaming the process in GitHub, setting up local development, and working in VS Code.
  • We encourage participants to enable audio and video, but if you choose to join audio-only and listen in that’s fine as well. You’ll be expected to participate in the brief introductions at the beginning.
  • Workshop will be recorded and made publicly available.

Questions or Feedback?

Just reach out to David via Forum DM or Amanda via Forum DM

1 Like

Yes, I’m interesting.

1 Like

Great! Were you able to register via Lu.ma?

Hey @thedavid will this be similar to the last one or will you be covering new material?

Very similar, @kengreeff The main differences will be 1) @giannelli.tech is going to help out and present with me and 2) we are going to prioritize and spend more time on the question, “What should I work on?”

If you’re just looking for recap of material, I’ve updated and expanded our Contributing Docs. See:

Lastly, I’m planning to host an informal “Contributing office hours” session on Discord next week . Not finalized yet, but do look for an Event posted on the RedwoodJS Server sooner than later.