Using chalk themes

I strongly prefer light background color schemes to dark ones; I find them much easier on my eyes. (Apparently this is common with older people and those with visual impairments, but I choose to believe I’m just special. :slight_smile:)

In any case, there are a lot of uses of direct chalk colors throughout the RW ecosystem; e.g., api-server/src/logFormatter/formatters.ts.

When working locally the colors are great for quickly seeing data differences, but pretty much force a dark background–a lot of whites and grays hard-coded in there. Because chalk supports themes it would be great if these direct color references could be replaced with theme names, and then the ability to override the theme colors added. Looks like this approach was used in the CLI; maybe it could be generalized and extended?

I know Redwood is an “opinionated” framework and I suspect the response might be, “Interesting idea; open a PR!” but I wanted to share my thoughts and see if I’m the only one that would like to see this.

Thanks.

1 Like

but pretty much force a dark background–a lot of whites and grays hard-coded in there

I think this is less of an opinion, I guess none of the maintainers use a light terminal normally, so just something we hadn’t realised!

I suspect the response might be, “Interesting idea; open a PR!”

Good guess! We definitetly will take the help if you’re offering :v:

looks like this approach was used in the CLI; maybe it could be generalized and extended?

Totally could be the way forward. Are there any cases that you commonly see being a readability issue? Maybe we start there!