Team TypeScript ⚡️: for those who want to help add TS Support

Hey TypeScript volunteers! Redwood is ready for your help!

To get the TypeScript ball rolling, @thedavid has created an issue for converting all CLI commands to enable TypeScript support. JS will remain the default output for now, but the JS output will just be a transpilation of the TS templates. When TS is ready, we’ll be able to switch the default flag from JS to TS.

I’ve started working on sdl and service, you can find the WIP PR here. Please feel free to use that as a guide.

If you want to pick up one of the commands, just volunteer yourself in the issue. There’s broader TS work that’s tracked here, but getting these generators working and ready for TS will be a huge help. Thanks in advance! :pray:

cc @MarkPollmann @benkraus @Jfelx @narciero @iam @Rosenberg96 @kimadeline @johnslemmer

6 Likes

Regarding this comment by Aldo about tooling: Would it make sense to ask some outside TypeScript experts (maybe even TS core members or from the Angular community) what they think? It’s completely out of my wheelhouse and I guess most TS devs here as well :sweat_smile:

Hi all! Grateful in advance for all your help to come :star_struck:I think we’re going to see the TS conversion pick up a lot of speed over the next couple weeks.

@aldonline and @mohsen are definitely well versed in TS and have each already contributed a wealth of knowledge. At this point, I believe they’re simply waiting on some decisions and direction from the core team regarding some of the more foundational aspects. But if you have questions on the Generators conversation work, they might be able to offer some help.

Would it be helpful to have a Video conference “kick off” for the Generator project? I could help organize if there’s interest. Could try to cover Generator code base + structure, the requirements + plan, and lessons learned so far on the work in progress.

1 Like

@thedavid I’d be happy to join a video conf to talk through the work, if others would find it helpful!

@MarkPollmann While the comments from @aldonline do reflect the overall complexity of migrating Redwood to TS, converting the generators themselves requires less comprehensive TS knowledge (and is more a matter of build scripting than anything else). Getting ahead on the generator work will allow for faster transition to TS once the overall framework changes have been added to support it.

1 Like

Okay great! Then let’s get this done first :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI --> I’m attempting to track TS work-in-progress here: https://github.com/redwoodjs/redwood/projects/2

This should be a publicly accessible GH Project. Please let me know if you can’t access it.

3 Likes

@thedavid is the work on router finished? https://github.com/redwoodjs/redwood/pull/453

1 Like

No, it is not. But now that Auth package is about to release, there’s going to be quite a bit of momentum coming to TS progress.

2 Likes