Request for Interest: Livestream about debugging in Redwood

Debugging JavaScript can be hard. Debugging Redwood can be even harder.

A few of us have been kicking around the idea of sharing debugging setup+tips+tricks. But then we realized this might be of interest to the community. If so, we could turn it into a live stream and have several people walk through their own setup and examples (note: hacks are fully welcome and probably exactly what everyone needs to see :laughing:).

So, reply here if:

• a live stream covering ā€œDebugging: RedwoodJS styleā€ would be helpful to you
  • and/or if youā€™d be interested in presenting for 5-10 minutes or so

Iā€™ve already nominated @peterp and @olance, so weā€™ll have at least 20 minutes of presentation plus time for Q&A!

And @rob canā€™t wait to figure out how to set up the first-ever RedwoodJS Live event :rocket:

Iā€™m so excited. Anyone else?

8 Likes

If youā€™re interested, feel free to share your IDE/Code editor and browser of choice when developing :slight_smile:

Iā€™m a big fan of the Jetbrains IDEs and usually use Chrome, so I can demo debugging a Redwood app with Webstorm (API debugging) + Chrome Developer Tools (front-end debugging)!

1 Like

I would love to see a live stream of people using Redwood!

Iā€™m a fond user of console.log everything so Iā€™m probably a good target market for this event.

3 Likes

Ahah yes! When I discussed this with David I was ranting about the var_dump / die ā€œdebug patternā€ of PHP, which would be the equivalent of console.log everything ^^

There are definitely ways & tools to gain more control and better understanding of how things flow in your app :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah yes. I donā€™t remember much of my PHP days but I remember var_dump + die!

2 Likes

This will be great. :+1:

2 Likes

I use VSCode and would be interested in seeing this.

1 Like

Definitely! Itā€™s still on the radar although a few other things got in the way.

In the meantime, @Robert has shipped some amazing improvements to Jest test support. And thereā€™s still VS Code IDE extenstion in the works :star_struck:

More to come! Just not sure when.

2 Likes

Iā€™m interested, Iā€™m on Phpstorm + Chrome as well.

Iā€™m definitely interested in tuning in, if the time zone allows it (GMT+2). :clap:

Primarily using VS Code and Brave.

Very interested. VSCode, Firefox user.

Hi all! Thanks for getting the momentum going on this (again). There were a few things we were waiting on, one of which was how to host an interactive Video conf that could also be recorded. Now we have a solution weā€™d like to test.

Two things:

1. Put a placeholder on your calendar for Friday, July 17th at 10:30-11:30AM Pacific for our first attempt at a public Drop-in Virtual Meetup. The topic is the Redwood API. The format will be a loose agenda of topics with the goal of question-driven conversation. (Look for full announcements and details early next week.)
  2. If that first-round experiment goes GoodEnoughā„¢, weā€™ll attempt to do another one probably two weeks later. It would be great to run with this topic and have some people demo/present. TBD :rocket:
3 Likes

100% attending this, good debugging is absolutely critical for a happy development path in my opinion. VS Code and Chrome user.

I am still in my PHP days (on my way out with RW hopefully!) and I have to say the Laravel error/debugger is pretty great, https://flareapp.io/ignition.

1 Like