Thanks for attending October 8th’s meetup! In the spirit of Hacktoberfest we covered contributing “fullstack”: everything from docs to code! We’ll be announcing our next Meetup soon. Look for an announcement here and on Twitter.
Video Recording on YouTube
Video with timestamps here
Topic Recap and Links
- Hacktoberfest master issue: everything you need to get started
- CONTRIBUTING.md: getting your local dev environment setup (David went over this in amazing detail during the meetup!)
- The Contributing Doc: background on contributing to the RedwoodJS framework, including how to contribute docs
Last reminder: ask for help! I did it; here’s my first-ever post: How to think about scaffolds? I was nervous just like you, but I had no reason to be–everyone was incredibly helpful. This post made me an open source contributor! And moreover, a way better developer.
One last shoutout to @olance who helped me get started. I’m paraphrasing his advice, but it was so succinct and helpful that it’s worth repeating
- Don’t be scared. Look at the source code! You’re more than allowed to and nothing in there is beyond you.
- Don’t give up! it’s going to be hard. You might not understand anything the first time you look at the source; or the second, or the third. I know I didn’t–my first contribution took me over a week. Take your time, don’t be afraid to break things, and of course ask for help!