Not easy to be a community organizer

Community organizers are responsible for uniting people to work together to solve social problems and make the world a better place.

I was very impressed with the work of Barack Obama, before he became the president - so I tried to project the description of what Community Organizers do, to this community of Redwood fans. Recently I got this assessment of the value of my attempts to contribute to this group as:

• You generate so much incoming that it’s overwhelming
  • Many of the issues you raise are very minor
  • You usually don’t open pull requests, so the lingering question is: who’s going to do all that work?

In my opinion this is wrong i in so many ways, that it makes no sense to be argued any more. I apologize to everyone with such or similar view for “overwhelming” them and raising “very minor issues”.

I like being in part of the Redwood community because of our shared vision and aligned energy.

We are human, and relationships take work and open/honest communication. Community, like life, can be hard.

But I think it’s worth it.

So, thanks for sharing your thoughts @adriatic. Your open/honest communication helps maintain a healthy community. Feels like real people working through real details of a healthy community.

1 Like

Thank you for understanding and supporting my intentions @keith.t.elliott. Your message means a lot.

Not being confident is not one of my problems, but the statement how I am writing too much about trivial issues is hurtful, unless it was written with malicious intent.

My reaction was written having your description in mind

So, thanks for sharing your thoughts @adriatic. Your open/honest communication helps maintain a healthy community. Feels like real people working through real details of a healthy community.

As someone who runs their company on redwood, fully aware that redwood is very new, the times I’ve messaged my CEO saying “we’re going off redwood after the next round” (not seriously) have been when:

1. Docs say something but code does not do that
  2. Framework snaps off in some way and I have to read the source and fix the bug or create an awkward workaround (fighting the framework)
  3. When redwood makes it actually harder to do something that an individual who is just doing the tutorial and posting about that on twitter would never do, but every production app with moderate complexity is required to do

I’m glad to say that people are continuously working to make all of the above better. However, as engineers sometimes our knee jerk reaction is to say no to anything that isn’t a new shiny feature or no-workaround critical bug.

I’m glad you are paying attention to things that are “minor” like docs, or has-workaround-but-sucks issues.

Do you have specific examples of this?

@ajcwebdev this discussion is not meant to criticise any RedwoodJS product. Instead I started it to indicate the need to have a lot better “human to human” interactions in order to create a lot better and more cohesive community. I am pretty certain that most of us, regardless of the age, mental acuity or financial status, continue working on RedwoodJS without any expectations of financial rewards. The motive, instead is a firm desire to participate in the project that would improve the world do money.

Let me repeat a few sentences describing my work:

• You generate so much incoming that it’s overwhelming
  • Many of the issues you raise are very minor
  • You usually don’t open pull requests, so the lingering question is: who’s going to do all that work?

This is not a good evaluation of my work, stated by a gentlemen that is likely more than 50 years younger than me. It is not only my seniority and experience that I find violated - it is norms of civilised behavior in a social construct that are broken.

I hope this discussion stope here.