Node Version 18/17

Hi, i currently using node 18, and in the website says i need to user node version 16 or 14 and i personally want to used it with the new version, are they going to update it?

Hi @GPeaky, thanks for your question.

By chance, have you tried to use Node 18 and Redwood? I imagine it works out of the box (edit: looks like it does, I just used node@18.3.0 locally and had no problem running my Redwood app).

In terms of 17, we generally skip odd # releases for Node as they are not the long term service ones.

1 Like

If it does work I will work with the team to update the documentation, or better yet you can contribute to it yourself over at: redwood/prerequisites.md at main · redwoodjs/redwood · GitHub

Please also see: redwood/CONTRIBUTING.md at main · redwoodjs/redwood · GitHub if this is something you’re interested in.

2 Likes

Yeah, probably does. But when you use npx, yarn or pnpm to install the default application, doesn’t works, i think it because un the prerequisites you guys put a version lower than 17.0.0.

1 Like

Yup I had the exact issue recently too.
Running redwood works with higher node versions, but installing it does not.

Thanks for letting me know, one thing to note is that there is this --no-yarn-install flag. See: Command Line Interface | RedwoodJS Docs

So for example you can use:

yarn create redwood-app my-redwood-project --no-yarn-install

to install/scaffold your new Redwood projects on versions of Node that are 17+

Hopefully that works for your use cases.