Netlify Build Plugin to Validate RedwoodJS Env Setup

I made a Netlify Build Plugin to validate RedwoodJS environment variables when deploying to Netlify.

Why?

Well, the first time I deployed a RedwoodJS to Netlify, it broke because (as many probably have) I didn’t really read the docs close enough to know that I had to include them in my redwood.toml.

I realized that I’d have to make sure I keep the env in sync or otherwise I’d run into breaking apps over and over and having to figure out what env I added, forgot, or mistyped.

This build plugin is here to help!

Example

When a deploy fails because you forgot to include it in your toml.

It aims to check that the environment variables needed for a healthy running RedwoodJS app have been properly setup; and it helps to keep them in sync between the .env.defaults to redwood.toml and the deployment environment configuration.

For more information

See the plugin README.md for setup and usage or visit a demo of an example redwoodjs-env-validator-playground app.

Note

This is the first Netlify Build Plugin I’ve made, so suggestions, issue, and improvements are welcome!

6 Likes

Rad! Thanks, @dthyresson

@dthyresson This would be a rad addition to the Awesome Redwood repo:

Thanks again for building this!

@thedavid I didn’t know that awesome-redwood existed. I’ll add/PR and checkout these listings. Thnx.

Updated.

Done. PR made.

1 Like