Learning RedwoodJS with boardgame logger project

Hello everyone! I’m building a side project to learn RedwoodJS (aren’t all side projects learning projects?). It’s a toy app that tracks how many times you play a particular board game. It based on the premise that you can’t truly rate a game until you’ve played it 10 times. It’s still a work in progress but I’m having fun tinkering with it as time permits.

GitHub: https://github.com/lizlam/logquest
Current Screenshot:

4 Likes

Hi @lizlam This looks really fun! Curious if you do the illustration work yourself as well? I’m a big fan of that :rocket:.

Given that Redwood is still early, is there anything you’ve tried to do so far but ran into issues? (If so, how could we help?) And, also, I’m always curious to hear about things you found surprisingly delightful or easier to implement than expected.

Lastly, and most important, what are the top 5 board games I should be playing right now? :smile:

Thanks David! I’m having a lot of fun with it. The awesome illustrations are all done by Lukas Adam. He has a website full of free graphics here: https://lukaszadam.com/.

I love how everything feels familiar. There are a lot of thoughtful improvements in the RedwoodJS that makes the ergonomics feel really good. For example, making ‘src’ a keyword and just a known location in the import statement is so simple, but makes SO much sense. The cells abstraction also feels really good. As a React Developer, these are common states (loading, empty, etc) that I often implement over and over.

I struggle more with the api side. For example, right now I have one Game model that include number of plays. I would like to add a User table and break out the number of plays to it’s own table. I tried the example stated here and it didn’t really work out for me:

Another thing I had a little trouble with was using the heroku postgres database as describe in the tutorial. Since I started off with sqlite, I didn’t realize I needed to change the DB source, delete/redo my migrations and set $DATABASE_URL. Is there a way to maintain my sqlite env for local development?

Right now, I loving Cloudspire, Roll for the Galaxy, Tetrarchia, Tiny Epic Galaxies and good ole’ fashion Backgammon!

-Liz

1 Like

Hi @lizlam! Super delayed reply here, but thanks again for all this. Helpful comments about both Web and API sides – you’re not the only one feeling the learning curve with the DB model(s) and GraphQL! I think that’s going to be something we continue to improve over the long term regarding both DX and tutorials, docs, etc.

re: DB Models
Couple things here – although we can be slow to reply (or sometimes super fast), don’t hesitate to create new topics in “Troubleshooting” with code snippets and asking for help. Did you ever get this one working correctly?

Secondly, a great resource for this is the Prisma Data Model documentation. This is the specific documentation for the schema.prisma.

re: DB local and on Heroku

Since I started off with sqlite, I didn’t realize I needed to change the DB source, delete/redo my migrations and set $DATABASE_URL. Is there a way to maintain my sqlite env for local development?

^^ Hmm, that actually shouldn’t have been the case at all. The only setting to add should have been the Netlify Deploy ENV var. In your root package.json, you should see "netlify-plugin-prisma-provider": "^0.3.0" → this will allow you to use SQLite locally and then, during Netlify build, handle all the changes required by Migrations, etc. to use Postgres. There’s a chance you caught our Tutorial between some changes (there have been a lot). But the current “Deployment” section is up to date with a simplified process.

re: Games

Cloudspire, Roll for the Galaxy, Tetrarchia, Tiny Epic Galaxies and good ole’ fashion Backgammon

Rad! Lots of new ones and now on my list :rocket:

1 Like