How do I change my password with dbAuth

My project is using dbAuth for account management, I want to update the password change function, how do I do that?
I setup authentication from tutorial: Authentication | RedwoodJS Docs

When you say “update the password change function” what do you mean? A way to let users change their password in their settings? Or change the way that the existing forgot/reset password logic works?

If you wanted to use the same code that Redwood does internally to create a salt/hashedPassword, you can use this codeblock:

const CryptoJS = require('crypto-js')
const salt = CryptoJS.lib.WordArray.random(128 / 8).toString()
const hashedPassword = CryptoJS.PBKDF2('password', salt, { keySize: 256 / 32 }).toString()

Where the string 'password' is the actual user’s password.

You can then store the hashedPassword and salt for the user. You should do this on the server side (in a service) so that the hashedPassword and salt are never available to the client.

Thanks @rob, I will try it

Hey @rob, is this still the recommended way to do this?

Thanks!

You mean that block of code up there? Yep! If you want to do it yourself, like in a Settings page, that works.

1 Like

I also see if we want to be more idiomatic we can also just import hashPassword directly from the source, making a full solution that promises to stay consistent with the dbAuth handler as follows:

import { hashPassword } from '@redwoodjs/auth-dbauth-api'
export const updateUserPassword: MutationResolvers['updateUserPassword'] =
  async ({ id, input }) => {
    requireChangeUserInfoAuth(id)

const { newPassword } = input

const [hashedPassword, salt] = hashPassword(newPassword)

return db.user.update({
      data: {
        hashedPassword,
        salt,
      },
      where: { id },
    })
  }
1 Like

Oh yeah! I forgot we started exporting that directly! Yeah that’s even better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah! :slight_smile: thanks as always for the help!