HotReloading not working?

I have a bizarre issue where my hot reloading isn’t working correctly and I can’t figure out where to start figuring out why not.

Video of the problem:

Repo: (It’s public so no worries)

I’ve started with a standard Redwood project, and then started adding two modules:

UseDapp & ChakraUi (Sorry can’t past the links a limit as a new user)

What I find is that I can run yarn rw dev and the project loads just fine in the browser. I can make a change, and it hot reloads just fine, but if I make another change, a second time, the hot reloading stops working and I need to restart the dev server to see the changes pop up.

I can’t imagine what I’m doing here, besides installing two modules and the fact that I did mix one javascript file (.src/common/uselocalStorage.js) I don’t get what should be stopping hot reloading from working.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to post this @crazyrabbitLTC Helpful. And I definitely haven’t seen something like this in a long little while. I just cloned your repo and going to take a quick look — two initial theories:

• this has something to do with you not using the API-side yet. What if you only spin up the web server via yarn rw dev web?
  • this is a Node.js issue → any chance you’re using Node.js > v16?

Could you copy+paste the output from yarn rw info?

Update: I can’t reproduce this locally. I ran through the same steps, modified a layout and a page component, but never broke hot reload.

@danny any other thoughts about diagnosing this?

Have you tried the steps I take in the video @thedavid ? Specifically changing the /components/NFTList/NFTList.tsx component? I ask because some higher-level changes like the layout, seem to reload fine. But then changes in a component such as this one- don’t show up.

@crazyrabbitLTC At a cursory glance, I don’t believe the problem here is fast refresh or the dev tooling!

Two things:

1. To get your project to run I had to fix some imports (mind you I’m running in gitpod):
  2. If you look at your NFTList component, it only rerenders when account changes. So even if you’ve changed the render code, maybe it doesn’t re-render the component.

Explanation here: https://s.tape.sh/zU1Q3Lhv

1 Like

Hello @danny !

Thank you so much for the explanation. So, changing the account doesn’t affect the hot reloading. It still doesn’t work.

HOWEVER:

The changes you made on the imports do seem to have made a difference. It’s really quite bizarre, but thank you! It works! I’ll keep a close eye on that in the future!

1 Like