🎃 Hacktoberfest Contributing Workshop: Thursday, October 7th

Hacktoberfest is happening :ghost:

And RedwoodJS is participating!

Are you interested in contributing to RedwoodJS but need help getting started? Regardless of your experience or skill-set, you’re invited to participate!

In this 2hr workshop, we’ll walk through everything you need to know:

1. finding something to work on,
  2. setting up for local development,
  3. testing your code with framework tools + Gitpod, and
  4. opening a PR for discussion and review.

Details

• Thursday, October 7th
  • 8:30am - 10:30am PDT (15:30 - 17:30 UTC)
  • Free with required registration

Your local time: 2021-10-07T15:30:00Z → 2021-10-07T17:30:00Z

Registration

The event will be held via Zoom. Free registration via Lu.ma is required to get access. Follow this link to register:

Who is this for? Is anything required to join?

Anyone who is interested in contributing to RedwoodJS is welcome to join. However, the walkthrough will assume you have a basic understanding of these topics:

Git and GitHub workflow

I’ll move quickly through forking a repo, cloning locally, creating a branch, committing, etc. If all this is new to you, GitHub offers some courses to get you up to speed:

Redwood Tutorial Part 1

I won’t spend much time on Redwood basics — instead, we’ll be working on the code for Redwood packages. It will help you understand the concepts and connections I cover if you’re already familiar with Redwood’s fundamentals. Ideally, you’ll have spent time going through the Redwood Tutorial Part 1:

Format

• Workshop will be conversational and casual, with a majority of the time spent live-streaming the process in GitHub, setting up local development, and working in VS Code.
  • We encourage participants to enable audio and video, but if you choose to join audio-only and listen in that’s fine as well. You’ll be expected to participate in the brief introductions at the beginning.
  • Workshop will be recorded and made publicly available.

Questions or Feedback?

Just reach out to David via Forum DM

3 Likes

Hey @thedavid. Will this be recorded? In New Zealand and 4.30am starts are brutal.

Thanks

1 Like

Understood and we need to get better with finding another time that works for the other 50% of time zones. Right?

Yes it will be recorded! And documentation coming as well.

1 Like

To everyone who took the time to join the Contributing Workshop, thank you! This was a great session with great people and great discussion. I look forward to seeing all the ways each of you participate in the Redwood community.

Recording

As promised, here is the edited* recording of the session, including subtitles.

*Note: as of this writing, the YouTube edits are still being processed, which will take several hours. In the end I’ve trimmed the start, stop, and breaks. Most importantly, I removed any video of attendees where possible.

Part 1: The first 30 minutes or so is a complete walkthrough from “forking the Redwood repo” to “opening a draft PR”. You’ll see all the tools I use and I explain what I’m doing as I go. This first walk through is intentionally straight forward.

Part 2: After that, we go back through the code changes to use the framework tools for build, lint, unit tests, and E2E, which are all used in CI. I show how to use GitPod for in-browser development. We also discuss important topics like “the characteristics of a contributor”, “how to get started”, “what makes for a good PR”, and more.

Documentation

I’ve written comprehensive documentation covering all aspects of this workshop and more! This includes links to resources mentioned.

Feel free to ask questions in the comments and also help me edit the document! I’ll receive notifications when comments are posted.

2 Likes