Community contributed tutorials/recipes

@guledali made a comment in another thread that sparked a response that I actually think warrants its own topic, so I moved it here instead

The question/request from @guledali brought up a topic that I’ve asked abouot earlier, but not sure if we ever came to a conclusive answer.

How should we handle the cookbook? Should anyone from the community be free to add his/her tutorial as a recipe in the book? If not, who decides what goes in and what doesn’t? Another topic, in addition to the pagination I’ve already written about, I’m interested in turning in to a tutorial/recipe is search. Adding search functionality to the basic redwood tutorial blog. Should that also be an official Redwood cookbook recipe? As mentioned in the original post linked above, I’m sure others will want to add these things too, and adding them as cookbook recipes is great for discoverability. But if something’s added to the official cookbook, who’s responsible for keeping it up to date? The core team?

Another option is to add a link to the awesome-redwood repo. Is that easy enough to find?

I think @dthyresson had similar questions when he wrote the RBAC example app (GitHub - dthyresson/redwoodblog-rbac: The RedwoodJS Blog tutorial -- but with Netlify Identity authentication and RBAC (and more)!) that later became a recipe (Role-based Access Control (RBAC) | RedwoodJS Docs)

5 Likes

This is a really interesting and important question. Plz check out my profile for info about the project I am working on(hit expand on the top right-side). It is to create a website similar to wikipedia but for facts and best practices, and also service desk ticketing, and project management, similar to Jira. This Community website is really good and has great capabilities too. So as part of best practices, people would be able to post articles or threads or string together documents or objects that could be verified true - for example if each item in a thread is true then the thread is true. It could be used for logic or like a legal discovery system or like a cold case detective tool, put in all your facts, tag them with attributes, and be able to do logic based upon things being true in the whole chain. Anyway, for best practices such as tutorials or something like what are all the steps to plant a tree or install a bike rack, you would want to have each step be it’s own object and string them together into a set of steps, similar to a tutorial. You would want to have it be tagged as the recommended best practice, but it also needs to be updatable as best practices evolve, you don’t want to have to throw the whole thread out just because one object needs updating. Anyway - I am very interested in this subject!!

1 Like

Some other examples could be:

• If I want to use some cheap devices to monitor the air and water around me, how would I navigate that process, Raspberry Pi, ESP32, Arduino, bunch of choices, how do they work together in a stack or what are the things I would be taking into account to design a solution?
  • Another would be computer software - some kind of flowchart showing when you would choose which pieces of the software stack, so people understand the history of languages and capabilities so they can see why they should not bother learning X but instead should start learning Y
  • Another would be housing - based upon local current and expected climate, how would we design our next buildings, what best practices in energy improvements and materials and design would we incorporate.

As you can see we would want to have the current best practices but also it needs to be easily understandable and easily updatable when consensus determines an improvement is warranted for inclusion.
Factual but updatable based upon rules and roles but also when the content evolves.

1 Like

@coding-to-music I definitely give your project a big +1 The focus is much needed and I like the idea of community powered workflows.

This immediately reminded me of www.instructables.com but on a level of organization that’s a step above. So if I wanted, ultimately, to plan a garden, I’d need a whole set of project instructions from creating a planting box to how-to build structure for tomatos and vines, etc. Correct?

Lastly, the latest conversation I had about Redwood Cookbooks (as sets of “recipes”) was with @Chris. I suggested the next step be to just try organizing a bit more. So the Cookbook link might go directly to a landing page, which would display Categories, each with the list of applicable recipes. (Note: you’d still be able to search for a specific recipe by topic, effectively what we have now. Would be nice if each recipe also displayed the Cookbooks it was associated with, which could be many.)

1 Like

In some ways it’s really just living up to what the web was all about, actually connecting things and making correct actual useful or true things easily findable. But much of the web is smaller ecosystems, some of those are good but often behind paywalls. I am sure somebody knows correct things but out here we just get to google everything there is not yet Alexa or Siri functions to truely organize things and make connections more easily visible.
I recently started the Storybook tutorial that is very interesting - and even google docs is probably just serverless functions, so it’s all about how to connect things and make things visible…

1 Like

Your example about a garden is perfect. On every place on the planet it should give different results, based upon climate. Remember those people 20-30 years ago who lived in a dome in the desert and after a year had to leave because the air levels could not be stabilized, they would totally love to have a tool that gave them basic answers about improving and maintaining air quality, Elon Musk will need his version for Mars, but he and other companies have their own internal systems, somehow we need to get all this data scattered everywhere and bring it together in a useful way. I think starting out with localized and personalized dashboards like companies use is a good first step, then add more and more functionality…
Bloomberg Terminals for the masses
Service Desk Ticketing for everyone
Palantir for the farm animals
Why should only the farmers have the dashboards?

I can see that once the data is collected it would be easy to make it available via augmented reality so you can see the whole story of any building (energy efficiency, occupancy level, any attributes) or any urban street tree, we know the details from municipal surveys so we can see the age, condition, photos from google street view, any requests for a new tree, how would it be planted, what species is recommended. Many possibilities…

1 Like