Building a Meme Generator with RedwoodJS

This is too funny. Michael Bogan runs a technical content agency called Dev Spotlight and I’ve been writing some articles for him over the last month.

Today he just published an article on the Heroku Dev.to account called Building a Meme Generator with RedwoodJS (the JavaScript Answer to Rails). When he first interviewed me I told him my whole story with RedwoodJS.

When I first heard about RedwoodJS, I thought it was just another front-end JavaScript framework. I wondered whether it would it be like React or more like Angular. As it turned out, I didn’t have a clue what RedwoodJS was, but now I can’t wait to build more projects using it.

Sounds like he didn’t think much of the framework at first. I don’t know whether I had anything to do with changing his mind or not, but it certainly is changed.

Before RedwoodJS, I would have had to code a front-end project, code a back-end project, and deploy each separately. But with this, the only code I wrote myself was for the specific things I was trying to do.

I didn’t have to hand-code any boilerplate. I only ran into issues when I skipped a step in the docs, specifically with the Netlify deployment process. Simply put, I can’t wait to try it again when it is ready for production applications.

2 Likes