Adding VS Code settings to address the jshint issues

I run into a few issues while examining the RW app’s file structure:

• examining the schema-prisma file prompted VS Code to ask me to run npm install -g jshint
    while I am hesitant to use machine global settings, this choice seemed safer than “mucking” VS Code per-user / per project settings. WS Code was happy with this global installation of jshint,
  • Opening the file seeds,js results with the 'async functions' is only available in ES8 error
    I would presume that rw is likely to make the setting use 'esversion: 8' for all projects.

If I am right so far, it might make a lot of sense the create a document defining all VS Code settings - the section Installation & Starting Development would be a good place for that information.

Note: despite the title of this issue, this proposal has a wider implication than just jshint

After posting jshint issue I run into a situation where it seems better to use eshint instead:

Viewing the file Routes.js from the first tutorial:

StackOverflow advises:

If you are using jshint plugin, remove it and install the ESLint plugin.

It is a good replacement for jshint in reactJS work.

This issue should be merged into jshint issue.

PR’s are welcome!

https://github.com/redwoodjs/redwood/pulls

Creating GitHub issues and PR for code enhancements or feature suggestions is better than including here in Discourse as it’s more likely to get triaged and commented on.

I understand and agree - GitHub it is.

Note: I am not PR averse at all, and will soon graduate myself to that approach. Being a total Redwood novice, I took the discourse approach as a safer means to get how people respond. Also, I need to learn a lot more before being able to make some more than trivial contributions.

1 Like

Thanks Nikolaj, we really appreciate your enthusiasm about the framework and we look forward to helping you contribute in any way!

@ajcwebdev despite my acceptance of @dthyresson’s suggestion above

I would not feel comfortable to simply dive in without (by my definition) proper understanding of the Redwood landscape. The issue I brought up (Adding VS Code settings to address the jshint issues) seem localized enough to create the document that describing the issue - but then I run into Let’s Learn RedwoodJS! (with Anthony Campolo) and realized that I ought to go through A First Look at RedwoodJS - Complete Series before “doing” anything.

Remaining very excited - with a special interest in Redwood IDE

1 Like