Translating the Tutorial (and, maybe, Docs)

Sounds like we reached an agreement on @rob proposition!

Was a surprisingly debated topic, did not expect the final mushroom twist :smiley:

Letā€™s initiate a first attempt by creating a fr.redwoodjs.com repo. Iā€™ll focus on navigation, home page and tutorial as suggested by @thedavid

Hmmm whatā€™s the best way to do this?

You apparently canā€™t fork a repo in GitHub into the same organization that already owns it (presumably because they donā€™t give you a chance to change the name?)

Should I create a new repo fr.redwoodjs.com and then locally copy the entire existing redwoodjs.com directory and point to that new remote and push up? That way would preserve the entire history of the project.

Or should I rm -rf .git and then re-initialize and push up, to start with a fresh slate?

This is probably enough

All right @clairefro @Thieffen let me know how this looks: https://github.com/redwoodjs/fr.redwoodjs.com

1 Like

Also: I assume itā€™s easiest to just give commit access to the translator(s) of these sites?

Looks good. I made a fork, and started to translate.

Maybe not to all the translators, but at least to a group of maintainers in charge of checking and merging PR.

1 Like

Just invited you to have write access that repo!

Do you guys have any recommendations for auto-PR-ing new merges into the main EN repo against the FR repo?

Is this something that could be done with GithubActions?

Yeah that seems like the kind of the thing GH Actions was made for. Wonder if thereā€™s any recipes out there with people sharing some formulas. Have you seen anything like that @thedavid?

The commands in here might accept a completely separate repo instead of just the current one? https://github.com/vsoch/pull-request-action

Iā€™ll play with this tonight in a dummy repo!

1 Like

Thread from a couple of years ago where someone wants to run actions against for forked repo and they reply thatā€™s not allowedā€”a bad actor could spam the account and cause of ton of actions which (when they start charging for Actions) would run up your bill. I wonder if this kind of thing falls under the same scenario: https://github.community/t/run-a-github-action-on-pull-request-for-pr-opened-from-a-forked-repo/16054

Maybe weā€™ll need an actual process running on a server somewhere that checks for changes to main and uses the GH API to open a PR on the translated reposā€¦

Luckily you set this one up as a new repo and not a fork!

Thank you.
Merged two PR already.
Home page has been translated :+1:

2 Likes

Check it out! https://modest-wiles-574390.netlify.app/

I also setup an Algolia search index so thatā€™s working as well.

3 Likes

cā€™est beau!!!

Now that thatā€™s up and running Iā€™m looking into a solution for staleness against main repo. Like you mentioned, github actions donā€™t look like they will work for us cross-repo. So, checking out some webhook + node server stuff

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying to get even a node server up and running on heroku but failing lol.

My attempt so far. The build isnā€™t installing node modules and I hadnā€™t been able to figure out how to fix that. Will continue tomorrow

This attempt is a node server successfully listening to push changes from a dummy repo via webhook config. Getting the server to do something with that payload like make a PR to another repo is another storyā€¦

In the back of my mind I wonder if itā€™s not easier to manage all the markdown docs in a single repo (change-managed with gitlocalize) and have each locale repo fetch its respective docs during the build process.

1 Like

Hello. Tutorial translation progress is about 10%.
In the meanwhile I see TUTORIAL.md has been updated on the English version.

Would be awesome to have something like this!

2 Likes

Howā€™s this feeling? Think itā€™ll work with what weā€™re doing now with redwoodjs.com ā†’ fr.redwoodjs.com?

Do you think we could do this with a function deployed to Netlify? Iā€™m not up on my GitHub webhooks, but I feel like at some point you could make a webhook call to an arbitrary URL on commits/merges? If that call could go to the Netlify function endpoint we should be good to go. Maybe?

Are you getting cold feet on the entire-site-repo idea?? :sweat_smile: If we did it this way :point_up_2:how would you manage when changes are made to the English MD files and somehow getting those updates into the translated versions? Or does gitlocallize have something to support that?