Monterey: On reversible rw app creation

@adriatic When I first started with RW, this idea was appealing to me. I was spinning up cells and components, hooking things together, messing things up, and wanting to reverse. Thus, I read your ideas on this topic with interest. Since that time, however, I suppose my familiarity with RW and my general mental models have improved. I now have trouble finding the real desire for this. I still appreciate the concept for the overall technical challenge, or puzzle, that it poses. I suppose, if it was silently running in the background and would let me reverse individual named cells or other rw components at will, that I would install it and have it there for those times when I want to back something up and try over.

As an aside, I like the idea of the logging engine with time as a variable captured. Toss the log into each git commit, then that commit could be ‘replayed’ in the future… seems like an editor extension would be needed to use the log this way. However, it would be neat for someone like me, as a relatively novice programmer, to be able to watch an advanced programmer build out a system or a component in ‘real-time’ without the other person having to create a youtube video for me to watch. If the extension could mirror all actions within vscode, such as file open/close, window splits, etc. that would be amazing. With timestamps, a sort of timeline could be created that would let users visualize the session, skip gaps, change replay speed, jump around, etc. Finally, if it could allow concurrent edits while the replay is going, then it could be a sort of post-hoc pair programming session. That would be cool for remote workers, student/teacher, tutorials, etc.

1 Like