Intel Evo Laptop Compatibility Issue with RedwoodJS on Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7 Evo

Hello everyone,

I hope you’re doing well. I wanted to raise an issue that I’ve been facing recently with my Intel Evo laptop, specifically the Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7 Evo, while working with RedwoodJS. I’m reaching out to the community in the hopes that someone might have encountered a similar problem or could offer some guidance.

The Problem:
I recently purchased the Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7 Evo, which boasts the Intel Evo platform’s impressive performance and features. As a web developer, I rely heavily on RedwoodJS, a full-stack JavaScript framework, for my projects. However, I’ve been experiencing compatibility issues between RedwoodJS and the hardware/software setup of my intel evo laptop.

Symptoms:

Slow Development Server: When running the development server using the “yarn redwood dev” command, the server response time is significantly slower compared to my previous laptop with similar specifications.

Unresponsive Hot Reloading: Hot reloading, which is crucial for efficient development, frequently fails to work as expected. Changes made to code aren’t immediately reflected in the browser, requiring manual restarts of the development server.

Freezing and Crashing: During intensive development sessions, the laptop occasionally freezes or crashes, resulting in data loss and interruptions to my workflow.

Steps Taken:
In my attempt to resolve these issues, I’ve undertaken the following steps:

1. Updated all drivers, including graphics, network, and chipset drivers, to their latest versions.
  2. Verified that I’m using the most recent stable release of RedwoodJS and its associated dependencies.
  3. Adjusted power management settings to prioritize performance over power saving.
  4. Disabled unnecessary background processes and antivirus software that could potentially interfere with the development environment.

I’m not using Windows so I can’t help specifically, but I do know from others that the performance issues on Windows is often related to hardware disk I/O — it’s more about node than is is about Redwood.

Some suggestions:

• have you read this? Windows Subsystem for Linux Setup
  • can you copy/paste the output of yarn rw info?
  • Node.js v16 is terribly slow on Windows. Make sure you’re at > v18

Lastly, understood this is a huge bummer. You boost your hardware expecting things to be a lot more snappy (and fun) only to have spent money and find out it’s the opposite case. :-1:

There are some other dev options we can try next. But do start with the questions above.