Dumping the netlify identity widget - using gotrue auth with email verification

• Define an emailer.sdl with a type that takes what your input needs (probably just an email)
  • and a Mutation inviteUserByEmail that uses the type
  • Write a service called emailer.js that implements the inviteUserByEmail mutation
  • that should be
export const inviteUserByEmail = async ({ input }) => {
  const { data, error } = await supabaseAdmin.auth.api.inviteUserByEmail(
    input.email
  )
}
  • then this is just a GraphQL mutation that you invoke via a form submit pretty much the same way you would Create a Contact in the tutorial here: Saving Data | RedwoodJS Docs

• except instead of creating a contact, you are inviting the user where the form submit sends the email address

1 Like

Thank you @dthyresson :pray: That works. Quite simple in the end :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @dthyresson Does this pattern look OK to you? The supabase api call is working but the createInvitedUser function isnā€™t getting called atm

(I tested that createInvitedUser works via http://localhost:8911/graphql)

Edit I got this working with the following ā€“ user created in the db with response from inviteUserByEmail

export const createInvitedUser = async ({ input }) => {
  // validate(input)
  console.log('createInvitedUser input', input)
  return await db.user.create({
    data: {
      ...input,
      account: {
        connect: {
          id: context.currentUser.accountId,
        },
      },
    },
  })
}

export const inviteUserByEmail = async ({ input }) => {
  const { data, error } = await supabaseAdmin.auth.api
    .inviteUserByEmail(input.email)
    .then((response) => {
      const uuid = response.data.id
      const email = response.data.email
      const input = (uuid, email)
      createInvitedUser({ input: { email: email, uuid: uuid } })
      return 'weird, get an error if this is excluded'
    })
}

@0x1a4f7d58 My question about the above example is in user.create the invited user is being connected to the current user ā€“ arenā€™t these different people?

Alice invites Bob and Bob is created but connected to Aliceā€™s account

Also, just because someone is invited, does not mean they have accepted.

Instead, you could use Supabaseā€™s new webhooks to trigger when a user has confirmed their invite, then post to a webhook serverless function that ā€¦ well ā€¦ wouldnā€™t user be created already by Supabase in their auth.users?

Instead might you to update your users table with a trigger from auth.users and then in the webhook, update to connect ā€¦ well, I am not sure what connecting to an account means.

In any case, I think there are a few considerations to check with this flow.

Hi @dthyresson Thanks for your comments. Yes, in this case, an Account can have multiple users. So Alice creates an account and then invites her colleague Bob. I havenā€™t yet introduced Roles but intend to do so (e.g. Alice as Admin and Bob as User.)

Good to know about the webhooks! Iā€™ll check those out. I had just started to think about how I could tell if Bob is confirmed or notā€¦ If I could update based on a trigger from auth.users that would be awesome.